South of Evia is considered as the "Land of the Giants". When in or near Styra, you must take this tour. Three wonderful Dragonhouses, in a "Π" shape form a nice settlement just among the trees. The Dragonhouses of Styra are the best preserved and consist of three farmhouse type buildings, dating from Classical to Hellenistic times.
The Dragonhouses "Drakospita" are megalithic sacred buildings in southern Evia, dating back to classical (7th c. BC. - aprox. 650BC.) and the early Hellenistic period. They are close to Styra, Karystos, and the top of Ochi.
Leaving the Dragon-houses, we follow the ridge towards the Acropolis of Styra. Staggering views of Styra and the Evian gulf will just blow your mind. Ancients quarries indicate former mining activity, while colossal ancient walls and the huge monolith gate “the emblem of the municipality of Styra” are exactly what we came for.
- Total length : 5 km
- Total Elevation Gain/loss : 320 m / 320 m
- Duration walking : 3,5-4 h
- Activity level B : Moderate
• 08:00 – Pickup from your hotel, in Chalkis or Eretria
• 09:00 – Pickup from your hotel, in Styra, Marmari, Karystos or nearby villages
• 09:30 – Arrive at Styra, bakery stop & water fill-up
• 09:45 – Start of the tour.
• 13:15 – End of tour. Optional meal at local restaurant below large plain trees.
• 14:15–15:30 Return to hotel
- Itinerary is proposed and can be subject to changes depending on preference, season or pickup location.
Minimum Participants / Availability
This tour runs with a minimum of 2 participants.
Available from April to November. More comfortable during April-June and September-November.
What does the tour include:
- Transfer to start of tour from Chalkis, Eretria, Amarynthos, Karystos, Styra
- Guidance by Evia Adventure Tours (English & Greek language)
- Transfer to hotel after the end the tour to Chalkis, Eretria, Amarynthos, Karystos, Styra
Other extras – Not Included – Must Haves
- Meals, Snacks, Drinks, Refreshments, Water.
No worries. We will stop at the local bakery before our tour, where you can choose from a wide selection of delicious fresh pastry. Have your own water bottles with you as we can fill them with fresh water from the spring just next to the bakery.
- It is advised to bring your own small backpack and water bottle
- Do care to bring a lightweight windproof along for months (June, September)
- Do care to bring a warmer shell jacket for colder months (April-May & October-November)
- Sunscreeen is needed from April - October
- Sun hat or scarf
- Firm walking shoes are needed
Arriving at Kampia village we will have the option of tasting local fresh trout.