Just above Chalkis lay the remains of the Acropolis of Avlida. Dominant above the Εvian gulf and the new bridge of Chalkis, the spectacular structure is not really noticeable from the city of Chalkis but the huge remains are the actual proof of serious fortifications. According to mythology, the harbour of Avlida is where Agamemnon sacrificed his daughter Iphigenia in order to leave the fleet of the Achaeans to set off to Troy.
Our walk will be a leisurely day trip along part of the remains of ancient fortifications, overlooking the recent quarry of the cement works, with the harbour of Avlida in the distance. It is so surprising that so close to the city, we will come across wild birds of prey and various vegetation such as thyme and wild fruit bushes. Our walk ends in the best way, tasting local wine at the Bio Winery of Tzivani with the superb artifacts museum, with personal collected items by Mr Tzivani himself from all over the world.
- Total length : 10 km
- Total Elevation Gain/loss : 450 m / 305 m
- Duration walking : 3,5-4 h
- Activity level B : Moderate
• 08:30 – Pickup from your hotel
• 09:00 – Arrive in Chalkis, bakery stop & water fill-up
• 09:20 – Start of the tour
• 13:00 – Arrive at Tzivani Museum & winery for our tour round the museum, plus winetasting and snaks
• 15:00 – End of tour & winetasting
• 15:30 – Return to hotel End of tour
- Itinerary is proposed and can be subject to changes depending on preference, season or pickup location.
Minimum Participants / Availability
This tour runs with a minimum of 4 participants.
Available from April to November. More comfortable during April-June and September-November.
Pricing per person
Price per Person : 65 euro
What does the tour include:
- Transfer to start of tour from Chalkis, Eretria, or Amarynthos
- Guidance by Evia Adventure Tours (English & Greek language)
- Transfer to hotel after the end the tour to Chalkis, Eretria, or Amarynthos
- Winetasting & snaks, plus complimentary tour round the artifacts Museum
Other extras – Not Included – Must Haves
- Meals, Water.
No worries. We will stop at the local bakery before our tour, where you can choose from a wide selection of delicious fresh pastry.
- It is advised to bring your own small backpack and water bottle
- Do care to bring a lightweight windproof along for months (June, September)
- Do care to bring a warmer shell jacket for colder months (April-May & October-November)
- Sunscreen is needed from April – October
- Sun hat or scarf
- Firm walking shoes are needed