When in North of Evia one of the main attractions you can visit, is the gorge of Nileas river or the so-called gorge of "Bolovinena". According to tradition, the gorge got its name from Bolovinena, a woman who committed suicide in this canyon in order to get away from the Turks, and keep this hiding place a secret, during the Ottoman period.
Entering this impressive gorge you will encounter a lush natural environment with large oak trees, wild pistachio trees & pine trees. The first part of the gorge is very narrow raising to heights of 50m.
You will need your swimming gear with you as we will need to swim in water over a meter deep. This gorge is a pleasant surprise to for adventurous travellers.
- Total length : 7 km
- Total Elevation Gain/loss : 426 m/426 m
- Activity Duration : 4 h
- Activity level B : Moderate
• 08:30 – Pickup from your hotel in Eretria or Chalkida, bakery stop & water fill-up
• 10:15 – Arrive at the start of the walk, bakery stop & water fill-up
• 10:30 – Start of the tour.
• 14:30 – End of tour. Optional meal at Chiliadou and swimming in the Aegean Sea
• 16:30 – Return to hotel
- Itinerary is proposed and can be subject to changes depending on preference, season or pickup location.
Minimum Participants / Availability
This tour runs with a minimum of 5 participants.
Available from June to October.
What does the tour include:
- Transfer to start of tour from Chalkis, Eretria
- Guidance by Evia Adventure Tours (English & Greek language)
- Transfer to hotel after the end the tour to Chalkis, Eretria
Other extras – Not Included – Must Haves
- Meals, Snacks, Drinks, Refreshments, Water.
No worries. We will stop at the local bakery before our tour, where you can choose from a wide selection of delicious fresh pastry.
- It is advised to bring your own small backpack and water bottle
- Do care to bring a dry set of clothes to change after the tour.
- Sunscreeen is needed from June - October
- Firm walking shoes or sneakers are needed
- Wear your swimwear
- Sun hat