The best way to explore a city is on foot. Even better is when a local shows you around. We will take a stroll around the once fortified old city of Chalkis, medieval Negroponte or Chalkida, as it is known today, mentioned in Homer’s Iliad. Due to its strategic control of the Euripus straights, Chalkis was an important crossroad over the centuries which was sought-after by world powers. Ancient Athens, the Macedonians, Romans, Byzantines, Crusaders, Venetians and Ottoman Turks all conquered the city in their turn. Although many of the historic buildings in the city have now been demolished what remains is of great interest worthy of visiting.
The tour is accompanied by distinguished archaeologist Dr Konstantinos Politis.
Itinerary - Highlights
- 09:00: meet @ Evia Adventure Tours main office 4 Athinas street (VI Travel Tourist Office), behind Post Office where the walking tour begins
- Venizelos street (former medieval moat, now filled-in) seeing Neo-Classical Courthouse building and old Archaeological Museum
- See St Barbara’s Church, Jewish Synagogue, Venetian House and visit St Paraskevi Church
- See Venetian walls housing the Folklore Museum
- Visit Ottoman Mosque with old engraving collection
- See Karababa citadel with fortifications, medieval exhibition and splendid views across historic Aulis Bay and Euripus Straights
- Free time to explore the citadel, relax at café and/or leisurely stroll back to the city centre.
*note: museums and sites opening hours vary according to the day of the week
Minimum Participants / Availability
This tour runs with a minimum of 4 participants.
Tour lasts approximately 3 1/2 hours.
Available all year round (Tue-Sun) except National Holidays
What does the tour include:
- Guidance by Evia Adventure Tours (English & Greek language)
Other extras – Not Included – Must Haves
- Meals, Snacks, Drinks, Refreshments.
No worries. We will stop at the local bakery if needed on our tour, where you can choose from a wide selection of delicious fresh pastry.
- It is advised to bring your own small backpack and water bottle
- Do care to bring clothes according to the weather
- Sunscreen is needed from April - October
- Sun hat or scarf
Custom made tours can be arranged upon request and availability.