Starting at the main square we will gradually walk along the last houses on the outskirts of the town of Kymi. Traditional buildings will give way to more modern structures, to end up in many types of ruins along our walk. We head off towards St. George's castle. Rough landscapes just make you wonder what it would be like to live in these remote lands with pirates all along the Aegean sea.
The Byzantine castle of St. George was built on a prime position in order to check the straights between Kymi and Skyros "just imagine the views". It is not very clear as to when it was built, but in the 13th century it had been renovated by the local lord Likario, a Latin knight and an adventurer. Inside the castle there was the small church of Saint George (Agios Georgios) which gave its name to the castle. The castle is in bad condition today. Only some parts of the wall remain today.
On our way back to Kymi we come across the convent monastery of Moni Metamorfosi where we might have a glimpse of the inner court.
- Total length : 9,5 km
- Total Elevation Gain/loss : 420 m / 420 m
- Duration walking : 3 h
- Activity level A-B : Easy to Moderate
• 08:30 – Pickup from your hotel, pickup snacks and water for the tour
• 09:00 – Start of the tour.
• 12:00 – End of tour.
• 12:30 – Return to hotel
- Itinerary is proposed and can be subject to changes depending on preference, season or pickup location.
Minimum Participants / Availability
This tour runs with a minimum of 2 participants.
Available from April to November. More comfortable during April-June and September-November.
What does the tour include:
- Transfer to start of tour from all Kymi hotels
- Guidance by Evia Adventure Tours (English & Greek language)
- Transfer to hotel after the end the tour to Kymi hotels
Other extras – Not Included – Must Haves
- Meals, Snacks, Drinks, Refreshments, Water.
No worries. We will stop at the local bakery before our tour, where you can choose from a wide selection of delicious fresh pastry.
- It is advised to bring your own small backpack and water bottle
- Do care to bring a lightweight windproof along for months (June, September)
- Do care to bring a warmer shell jacket for colder months (April-May & October-November)
- Sunscreen is needed from April - October
- Sun hat or scarf
- Firm walking shoes are needed